Spring is here! Aside from a few more random snow showers here in Colorado…we are so ready for Spring.
Here are my top tips to get you ready for Spring.
1. Spring Clean – It sounds so cliche, but spring cleaning can be good for you and your health. Ridding your house of dust bunnies by opening the windows is great for your lungs and removes the stagnant air in the house. Decluttering can help you physically and mentally. A good fridge clean-out can make room for all those fresh fruits and veggies you will now be able to get at the local Farmers Markets. Having a clean home can improve your mood and reduce your risk of depression. Plus, it can reduce the time it takes to clean daily!. Make sure you use non-toxic cleaning products (See my recommendations below).
2. Allergy Relief – If you have seasonal allergies you may already notice some signs of allergies. Gut dysbosis (microbial imbalance) can contribute to allergies. Working on healing your gut can help with your allergy symptoms. Message me if you want to learn more and address the root cause of those pesky allergies.
Spring Allergy Symptoms:
- Sneezing, runny or stuffy nose
- Red, itchy or watery eyes
- Wheezing, coughing, tightness in chest and or shortness of breath
- Eye “boogers” in the morning or any time of day
3. Spring Detox – Spring is the perfect time to detox and a great chance at refreshing your health after a long winter. According to Chinese medicine, it is liver and gallbladder season. During spring, our livers are most active and need a detox. Detoxing doesn’t have to be stressful or extreme. Garlic, onion, beets, brussel sprouts, dandelion greens and fermented foods are all great for supporting the liver and detoxing.
Of course the far infrared sauna or detox footbath are a favorite way to effectively detox.
4. Exercise – Hopefully you can get outside more to exercise now that the days are longer and weather is warmer. Ask a friend or neighbor to join you. Have you wanted to try a 5k? Couch to 5k app is a great program that can help you hit your goals. Don’t want to join a gym? 12 Minute Athlete app will give you a workout from your phone (with body weight) in only 12 minutes. It is a great workout to do at the park while the kids play! Yoga For Kids app is really fun and a way for them to get moving.
Couch to 5k – https://www.c25k.com
12 Minute Athlete – iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/12-minute-athlete-hiit-workouts/id665678340?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
Yoga for Kids – https://appadvice.com/app/yoga-for-kids-daily-fitness/1405597264
5. Garden and Yardwork – It is time to start gardening. Get a little “dirty” daily in order to support the gut bacteria and prevent leaky gut syndrome. Whether you have a little bit of room for raised beds or only space for containers it is finally time. Visit a local garden center to see what plants are best for this time of year (and your space). Make sure you buy Organic Non-GMO seeds if you are starting with seeds. Most stores and garden centers have lots to choose from. Kids especially love helping in the garden and it is especially good for their immune system to play with dirt.
This is a great local farm and does a Co-Op every year. Check it out if you are looking for plants or don’t have the time to garden. https://www.facebook.com/SandysWayCSA/
6. Electrolytes – It’s spring and so people will be more active in the HOT sun, which means your body will need more electrolytes. Make sure you are adding magnesium oil to your post workout routine to help your muscles repair and increase the production of melatonin for more restful sleep. A magnesium oil spray can be used right before bed. I recommend this brand by Ancient Minerals*. *(Affiliate links) https://amzn.to/2P5qeQI
Also, I suggest placing a sound machine in the bedroom which helps drown out noises and calms. MyBaby Soundspa Lullaby* – https://amzn.to/2IjeqtN
Recommended Cleaning Supplies (Affiliate links):
eCloths instead of paper towels* – https://amzn.to/2DaiKYc
Natural Disinfecting wipes* – https://amzn.to/2IoDLCn
For other cleaning products I use Poofy Organics*: https://lifehealthhappiness.poofyorganics.com
In Health and Happiness,