With so many options available in your grocery store, it can be easy to stick with conventional dairy products. However, you’d be missing out on a host of environmental and holistic health benefits that come with consuming organic alternatives.
Life. Health. Happiness., a holistic health center located in Englewood, CO, recommends organic dairy over conventional dairy to many of their patients as part of their nutrition therapy treatment plan. Here are five reasons they suggest the switch:
- Rich in Omega-3: Compared to conventionally produced dairy, organic milk contains 50% higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids as well as heart-healthy conjugated linoleic acid. Foods that are rich in omega-3s help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer, as well as inflammatory and autoimmune disease.
- Fewer Omega-6 Fatty Acids: Organic dairy also contains 25% fewer omega-6 acids than conventional milk. Research has shown that our ancestors had a ratio of 1:1 for omega-3 acids to omega-6. In today’s society, most people have a ratio of 1:10 or as high as 1:25, which increases inflammation in the body.
- Better Quality of Nutrition: Organic dairy boasts higher concentrations of minerals and antioxidants such as iron and vitamin E. These vitamins help to boost your immune system and improve cognitive and physical functioning.
- Skip the Antibiotics: In conventional agriculture, farmers use antibiotics to promote rapid— and often unhealthy — growth in animals. Organic farmers don’t use this practice, thus helping prevent the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria that infect our livestock each year.
- Support Sustainable Farming: Farmers who practice organic farming methods help lessen the impact that animal agriculture has on the world’s air and water pollution. By purchasing organic milk, you’re supporting local farmers while minimizing your own carbon footprint.
The team at holistic health center Life. Health. Happiness. works with patients who are struggling with a range of conditions ranging from acne and asthma to cancer and cardiovascular disease. Their approach combines Eastern healing traditions with Western medicine to unite the mind and body, and patients benefit from traditions such as nutrition therapy, detoxes, and herbal remedies. Learn more about their holistic health services online or call (720) 695-0607 to schedule your first appointment.