Have you heard of seed cycling? It can help balance hormones and improve your menstrual cycle. Basically, you load your diet with certain seeds at certain times of the month. Seed cycling is a natural and inexpensive way to support the female body. Seeds contain nutrients and oils to help with the production and metabolism of the hormones. The four seeds used are pumpkin, flax seeds, sunflower, and sesame seeds. The lignans in seeds have phytohormone activity which helps to eliminate excess estrogen. Excess estrogen can cause toxic fat gain, water retention, bloating, and a host of other health and wellness issues.
- Rich in zinc, which prepares the body for progesterone secretion in the next phase
- High in omega 3s
- High in lignans to block excess estrogen production
- High in omega 3s
- High in lignans to modulate estrogen and progesterone levels
- High in omega 6 (which converts into GLA in the body)
- High in selenium, which supports liver function to prevent clogging from excess hormones, resulting in proper hormone excretion
- High in omega 6
Seed Cycling benefits may include:
- Balance hormone levels
- Relieve PMS and perimenopause symptoms
- Stimulate menstruation if it’s absent – called amenorrhea
- Increase fertility
- Healing ovarian cysts, PCOS and endometriosis
There are Two Phases during your cycle.
- The follicular phase (phase 1) begins with menstruation
- The luteal phase (phase 2) starts after ovulation
Day 1 to Day 15 (or the middle of the cycle), we need more estrogen in order to build up our endometrium (uterus lining). This is called the follicular phase.
Buy organic, raw, whole seeds and grind them immediately (coffee grinder) before adding them to your favorite foods choices (smoothies, salads, dressings, soups, etc.). Seeds begin to oxidize 15 minutes after they’re ground, so grinding fresh is best. If you don’t grind them the seeds may pass through your digestive system completely undigested. You can store pre-ground seeds in the freezer and take the portion as needed, but freshly ground is preferred.
Use flaxseed and pumpkin seeds during this phase. Consume one tablespoon of each of the ground seeds per day in equal parts (two tablespoons total).
Day 15 to Day 30 (Luteal phase), the corpus luteum begins to release progesterone. This is a sex hormone that will help thicken the uterus lining and prepare it for implantation.
By adding two tablespoons of sesame and sunflower seeds per day in the luteal phase, we can naturally support the body to produce more progesterone, a sex hormone. Many women experience low levels of progesterone which can cause abnormal uterine bleeding.
I also recommend a few other oils that can be beneficial in addition to seed cycling.
Fish Oil (Bonus)
- Contains EPA and DHA, important omega 3 fats found only in cold water fish
- High in lignans
Evening Primrose Oil (Bonus)
- High in gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) and other important omega 6 fatty acid
Please let me know if you have any questions or to see if Seed Cycling can benefit you.
In Health and Happiness,
Specials and Promotions:
- Join us at our upcoming event “Meet the Practitioners” August 25th, 2018 at 12pm.
10% Off the following supplements
- All Female Hormone Supplement Support
- Fish oil
- Iron Supplements